Alabama Inmate Left Brain Dead After Brutal Assault on Day of Scheduled Release

In a heartbreaking incident, a 22-year-old Alabama inmate, Daniel Terry Williams, met a tragic fate after a brutal assault at the Staton Correctional Facility in Elmore County. Serving a 12-month sentence for second-degree theft, Williams was found brain dead on the very day he was supposed to be released. This article explores the details surrounding the assault, the family's quest for justice, and the disturbing circumstances leading to Williams' untimely demise. 

Assault and Allegations:

On October 22, Williams fell victim to a suspected inmate-on-inmate assault, leaving him unresponsive. The Alabama Department of Corrections reported that he was later transferred to a hospital for evaluation and treatment. Disturbing allegations emerged, suggesting that Williams endured not only physical assault but also sexual assault over a period of three days. His father, Terry Williams, claimed that Daniel was injected with heroin during the assault.

Family's Agonizing Wait:

The family was not informed about the assault until October 25, leaving them in the dark about the severity of Daniel's condition. When finally notified, they were shocked by the extent of his injuries, including cuts, bruises, and signs of sexual assault. Williams' family insisted on a rape examination during his hospitalization.

Medical Condition and Difficult Decision:

Williams' injuries were severe, resulting in only 10% brain function. Faced with the agonizing choice of keeping him on life support with a bleak prognosis or letting him go, the family made the heart-wrenching decision to withdraw life support on November 5. Subsequently, Williams was moved back to Kilby Correctional Facility for "long-term comfort care."

Tragic End on Release Day:

Strikingly, Williams passed away on November 9, the very day he was scheduled to be released. The circumstances surrounding his transfer back to the facility instead of staying in the hospital remain unclear. His grieving father expressed frustration with the lack of information and condolences from the corrections department.

Quest for Justice:

Terry Williams, determined to seek justice for his son, has retained legal representation. He accuses the correctional officers and warden of negligence for failing to prevent the assault and providing inadequate updates to the family. The investigation into Daniel Terry Williams' death is ongoing.

The tragic demise of Daniel Terry Williams underscores the challenges and dangers within correctional facilities. As the investigation unfolds, questions about inmate safety, communication transparency, and accountability will likely come to the forefront. Williams' family, devastated by the loss, seeks not only closure but also systemic changes to prevent such incidents from recurring.


DATA SOURCE: Alabama inmate days from release dies after prison attack left him brain-dead (